Latest from my blog...

Subscribe to the RSS Feed

When Should You Worry About Your Child’s Fever?

Posted on 04 July 2023 by (0)

Fever is a common symptom in children and is often a sign that the body is fighting an infection. In most cases, fever is not a cause for concern, and you can manage it at home. However, there are certain situations when you should be more vigilant and seek medical attention for your child. Here are some guidelines to consider:

Age of the Child

Any fever should be evaluated by a healthcare professional for infants under three months old, as they have a higher risk of serious infections. For children between 3 months and three years old, a fever above 102.2°F (39°C) may warrant medical attention. A pediatrician should evaluate older children for a fever above 102.2°F (39°C) that persists for more than a day or two or has other concerning symptoms accompanying it.

Duration of the Fever

If your child’s fever lasts more than a few days or continues to rise despite home care measures, it’s advisable to consult a doctor.

Associated Symptoms

Pay attention to other signs and symptoms accompanying the fever. Seek medical advice if your child experiences severe headache, stiff neck, persistent vomiting or diarrhea, difficulty breathing, rash, extreme irritability, or any other concerning symptoms.


Watch for dehydration signs, such as decreased urine output, dry mouth, sunken eyes, lethargy, or extreme fussiness. If your child shows signs of dehydration, seek medical attention.

Pre-existing Health Conditions

Suppose your child has a chronic illness, a weakened immune system, or is taking medications that may suppress the immune system. In that case, it’s essential to consult a healthcare professional for any fever.


If your child experiences a febrile seizure (convulsion or twitching) during a fever, seek immediate medical attention.

Remember, these are general guidelines, and you should always trust your instincts as a parent. If you’re concerned about your child’s fever or overall condition, it’s best to consult a healthcare professional who can provide proper guidance based on your child’s circumstances.